Download these Technology Requirements as a PDF.
Minimum Computer Requirements
Note: Students using eBooks or enrolled in the Medical Assisting, Nursing, Graphic Design, or Technology programs have additional requirements described at the end of this section.
- Windows-based PC or Intel-based Apple Macintosh with Windows Boot Capability
- Microsoft XP (Service Pack 2 or higher) or Vista Operating System
- A minimum of a 512 Megabytes (512 MB) of Internal Memory
- A minimum of a 1 Gigahertz (1000 MHz) Processor
- A minimum of a 40 Gigabytes (40 GB) Hard Drive
- At least a dial-up speed internet connection (broadband highly recommended)
- DVD Reading Drive (DVD/CD Burner Drive recommended)
Additional note for Mac users
System Requirements to run Parallels (the program required to run Windows on MAC):
- MAC OS X Tiger 10.4 or higher on an Intel Mac, Imac, Mac mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacPro Tower
- Any 32 or 64 bit and any Intel Core Solo/Duo/2 Duo/Dual-Core Xeon
- 512 MB of RAM
- 70 MB HD (15 GB of space per virtual machine for windows)
- The computer must then have the system requirements for Windows XP/Vista
- Total, a MAC should have 1 GB of RAM and 80 GB of Hard Drive
These stats are recommended to just run windows operating systems on the MAC. If any other software programs are needed (such as Microsoft Office or the required Graphics Design or Computer Science software) more RAM is needed. Refer to the URL referenced below for additional information for running Windows software on MAC computers. http://www.parallels.com
Additional Requirements for:
eBook Users (online and on campus students)
- Windows users are required to install Microsoft .NET 3.5 SP1 and .NET 4.0
Graphic Design Students (online and on campus students)
You will be provided access to a student version of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Adobe Creative Suite – Design Premium; you will receive information about the current version from your instructor
- Flatbed scanner 600 dpi x 600 dpi; size 8.5" x 11"
- Digital camera with manual white balance, semi-automatic (minimum) or manual (preferred)
- 30 Gigabytes (30 GB) storage/free hard drive space
- 512 Megabyte (512 MB) video card
- CD/DVD burner highly recommended
- 200 Gigabyte external hard drive highly recommended
Medical Assisting & Nursing Students (online and on campus students)
- Students will need access to a scanner to upload timesheets and other course material signed off by a clinical site designee and/or proctor
Mac Users will not be able to use Oracle 11g (no 11g release for Mac). Students using a Mac in their technology courses will need to use a PC for Oracle 11g or use 10g Release 2 for the Mac.
PC is strongly recommended for technology courses.
Microsoft Office Install
It is very important that the following guidelines are used prior to and during the installation of Microsoft Office 2007:
Install Microsoft Office 2007 (1-page PDF)
If you have any problems installing the Microsoft Office 2007, please contact tech support at: 1-866-508-0748 x656. If you receive a voicemail, please leave your name, student number, phone number, and the issue.
Please note that Herzing University or Herzing University Online is not responsible for any damage that may occur to any student’s computer to include but not limited to, hardware, software, file directory or file contents as a result of student’s installing software or not having the appropriate hardware configurations for such installation.