Toll Free: 1-800-596-0724

Online Campus

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013

LeeAnn Bramble

A few years ago I sustained an on-the-job injury that left me with a partial disability. At the time, my employer was moving to terminate me because I could no longer perform the duties I was hired to do. My doctor suggested I apply for social security disability benefits. I knew I had to find another way to support myself and my family.

I was very distraught and ready to give up when my friend called. After telling her of my plight, I mentioned a story I had seen on TV about a woman who worked at home as a medical biller and coder.

I told my friend I would like to do something like that to support myself and my family. We both made the decision to look for an online school where we could take classes and get a degree in medical billing and coding. A few days later my friend called back and said she had found the perfect school. She had spent some time reviewing the requirements and qualifications of various schools. She decided that Herzing University Online was the best fit. I went online, found the site, and within one day received a call from a very knowledgeable Herzing representative.

I started classes at Herzing University in 2008. From that very first call, every member of Herzing’s faculty and staff whom I have interacted with have displayed a level of professionalism second to none. Everyone is knowledgeable, respectful, and extremely helpful. The faculty and staff make sure I stay informed by checking that I have received emails and/or phone calls regarding changes in policies, financial aid, upcoming deadlines, and scholarship information. I have also received random phone calls just to check on my progress, to see if I had received my books, and to see if I had any issues I would like to address.

What was most impressive about the faculty and staff at Herzing was their spirit of compassion and genuine concern toward student success. There have been many trying moments for me as a result of my injury. Time and time again, I contacted instructors requesting to drop classes because I was not feeling well, and was starting to fall behind. At no time did they leave me hanging. They stayed with me every step of the way, offering assistance and words of encouragement. Because of their patience, caring, and constant encouragement, I knew I had to continue. How could I give up when they invested so much of their time towards ensuring I succeed? I received my associate degree in medical billing and insurance coding in 2010. This was a moment I will cherish forever.

It was very important to me that Herzing’s schedules are completely flexible. Because of Herzing University Online, I was able to work a regular 9 to 5 job and attend school, something I had not been able to do before. I completed high school in 1987, became a mother shortly after, and had to work to support my child. With only one university on the island that offers most classes in the day time, I thought my dreams of having a college degree were shattered forever. I am now on my way to securing a bachelor of science degree in health information management, thanks to Herzing University Online.

Thank you Herzing staff and faculty. Without your support and encouragement, I would not be where I am today. Thanks for believing in me. You have helped me believe in myself. Herzing rocks!

LeeAnn Bramble, St. Thomas, the Virgin Islands

• Madison Campus Announces Nursing Scholarship Winners MORE
  • Unique, Newly-Renovated I.T. Degree Program at Herzing University Delivers Graduates Who Are a Custom Fit for Local Employers MORE
  • New VET2LPN and VET2RN Program at the Madison Campus! MORE
  • Electronics Engineering Technology Degree -- Now Available! MORE
  • "Herz Fest" to feature free food, live music, and more! MORE