Toll Free: 1-800-596-0724

Madison Campus

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013

Christina Stanek

Prior to attending Herzing University, I was a full-time single parent and the primary caregiver for my children, who all have special medical and behavioral conditions. My life was devoted to them, and I came to the realization that I had very few goals for my own future and success. Although I love caring for my children, I didn’t know how to define myself as anything but a mother.

I had a friend who attended Herzing University and obtained a master’s degree. I had observed some of her course assignments, and I realized that continuing my education was something I was more than capable of. When my children were both enrolled in school on a full-time basis, I knew that this was the time I was waiting for. I enrolled in the Criminal Justice and Homeland Security program through Herzing University. I was a bit nervous to dive right in full-time, but the staff who had been supporting me since the first day I inquired about the university did something that very few had done: they believed in me. They never gave up on me.

The staff at Herzing’s Madison campus made me feel like I was capable of accomplishing anything. They gave me the tools and motivation I needed to be ready for this next chapter in my life. The instructors guided me, reassuring me that if at any time I needed extra support or accommodations, they would help me succeed. I don’t believe I would have come this far without my team behind me.

Although I am not yet finished with my degree, I am confident that I will be able to graduate and accept my diploma in an area of study that I am passionate about. I have been able to reach out to my community to establish connections that will help me have the option to work in a career that I will love. Not everyone can say this, and I feel privileged to have the opportunities I have been given, despite the barriers in my life. I feel like I can be the role model that my children deserve, and that they will live a better life because of the educational opportunities I have been blessed with.

I am honored to be able to call myself a mom, and now I am honored to be able to call myself a Herzing Student.

“…Your confidence in me and your assistance, along with the guidance and support of admissions advisor Carolyn Kent, helped me get to where I am right now, and I have a lot of faith in Herzing University. I have been more than impressed with the quality of my online instructors and how invested they are in their students. I am glad that I have a plan and team in place that is specifically designed to support my success, even with the barriers to education that I struggle with. Thank you for believing in every student who walks through the doors of Herzing University.”

Christina Stanek

• Herzing University - Brookfield is Transfer Friendly! MORE
  • The Urban League of Greater Madison and Herzing University - Madison Announce Educational Partnership MORE
  • Herzing University – Madison Donates to River Food Pantry MORE
  • Herzing University - Madison Alumni Honored with 40 Under 40 Award MORE
  • Wind Energy Technology Could be the Career for You MORE