Our Graduate Success Stories
I chose Herzing University because the emphasis was on the field I wanted to study. I already went to school for cartography, and the Herzing drafting program fits in very well with classes I have already taken.
Elementary Spanish I for Medical and Dental Professionals
|Date:||Call your campus for upcoming dates|
|Course Number:||CE 0046|
|Course Name:||Elementary Spanish I for Medical and Dental Professionals|
|Contact Hours:||30.0 Contact Hours (15 weeks, 2 hours per week)|
|Course Type:||Lecture and Discussion|
The Elementary Spanish I for Medical and Dental Professionals course is designed for the very beginning Spanish learner with little to no foreign language background. This course will help develop listening, reading, writing, and speaking (conversational) skills, with emphasis on speaking skills. The course will provide an introduction to the Spanish language, as well as terminology and skills needed to effectively communicate with Spanish-speaking patients in the medical and dental community.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Converse with the Spanish-speaking community with basic conversational skills.
- Have a beginning level of skill in listening, reading, writing, and speaking Spanish.
- Communicate well on topics related to healthcare and medicine using basic medical terminology.
- Articulate and respond to basic patient concerns.
- Conduct basic assessments in Spanish, such as health history or physical assessment.
- Understand cultural and social factors that influence doctor-patient relationships and communication with the Spanish-speaking population.
Required Texts or other supplemental materials:
To be determined by instructor
- Course Introduction: Introductions, Course Description and Expectations.
- Basic Phrases, Greetings, and Common Phrases.
- Nouns and Adjectives
- Noun Phrases and Adjective Placement
- Verbs: Conjugation Basics
- Conjugating -Ar Verbs
- Conjugating -Er and -Ir Verbs
- Practicing With Verbs
- Verbs/Conjugation Overview
- Working With Ser and Estar
- Review of Nouns, Adjectives, and Verb Use
- Vocabulary Building
- Sentence Building
- Review of Vocabulary and Sentence Building
- Practice Conversation!
- Midterm Review!
- Mid Term!!
- Review of First 8 Weeks
- Cultural and Social Basics: Learning About Native Speakers
- Overview of Medical and Dental Systems
- Common Anatomy and Terminology
- Reviewing Medical and Dental Systems, and Anatomy
- Structuring Medical and Dental Sentences, Phrases, and Anatomy
- Practicing Medical/Dental Conversation!
- Vocab, Vocab, Vocab!
- Mock Lab—Work in Groups
- Mock Lab—Work in Groups
- Review of Anatomy Terminology
- Practice Medical and Dental Conversation!
- Review for Final!