Our Graduate Success Stories
At the end of my program, I felt like I was ready to go out and get a job. Akron Institute helped me get an externship, and I was hired when it was complete.
Akron - Dental Assisting
A top growth career in the booming field of healthcare.
Dental assistants now play a key role in dental offices across the country. As the demand for dental services continues to grow, these professionals are being called on to handle a broader range of responsibilities. Working alongside a dentist, their patient care work includes:
- Handling instruments and operating dental equipment
- Sterilizing instruments and equipment
- Taking dental x-rays and processing the film
- Removing sutures
- Applying topical anesthetics to gums or cavity-preventive agents to teeth
- Placing rubber dams on the teeth to isolate them for individual treatment
In addition, these professionals can also be involved in office-related tasks such as scheduling and confirming appointments, maintaining treatment records, handling patient payments and ordering supplies and other materials.
A great opportunity in patient care and support.
Dental Assistants who work beside dentists must remain alert and focused while standing on their feet most of the day. They need to aid the dentist while also making sure the patients are calm and comfortable.
A career as a dental assistant would be right for you if you:
- Are very precise and detail oriented
- Enjoy helping others
- Have strong visual/spatial abilities
- Have good communication and people skills
- Work well as part of a team
- Are interested in teeth and promoting oral health
The information below reflects aggregated data from all of the Herzing University campuses that have students enrolled in the specified program in the specified time period. The information does not reflect data regarding individual campuses unless only one campus had students to report. The reporting period used to obtain this data was 7/1/2012-6/30/2013. If there were less than 10 graduates in a program, median loan debt and on-time completion data were not disclosed for that program to protect the privacy of those students. Tuition and length may vary by campus location. Ranges could not be input for tuition and length, therefore tuition and length reported are the highest tuition rates and longest program length to encompass all campuses. For information regarding specific campus tuition please refer to http://www.herzing.edu/tuition-financial-aid . For a more detailed description of how the data was calculated please refer to the Disclosure Methodology located here http://www.herzing.edu/files/2014Disclosures-Methodology.pdf .
ASSOCIATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE IN DENTAL ASSISTING
DIPLOMA IN DENTAL ASSISTING
- Graduates from Akron's dental assisting program will be eligible to take the Dental Assisting National Board's (DANB) Certified Dental Assistant (CDA®) exam.
- Akron graduates will also be qualified to apply for the Dental Assistant Radiographer's Certificate through the Ohio State Dental Board.